Businesses strive for consistency, reliability, and security in their daily operations. Many businesses can fail if they are not prepared to work through tough workday situations, including data loss. If your business has never suffered through something as scary as a server completely dying or valuable company files becoming corrupt and useless, call yourself lucky. Data loss is not a laughing matter. Ask a business owner that has been through a major data recovery and you’ll hear exactly how painstaking it can be.
However, businesses can easily avoid such situations by having a reliable automated data backup in place to securely protect their most valuable data. All hard drives and hardware eventually fail, so be prepared to restore your data quickly. If you’re not familiar with the workings of a good data backup solution for your company, outsource to an IT provider that you trust and can get the job done efficiently.
The following data loss statistics were gathered from various sources and show exactly how scary data loss can be:
Data Loss Statistics
- 30% of all businesses that have a major fire go out of business within a year. 70% fail within five years. (Home Office Computing Magazine)
- 31% of PC users have lost all of their files due to events beyond their control.
- 34% of companies fail to test their data backups, and of those that do, 77% have found tape back-up failures.
- 60% of companies that lose their data will shut down within 6 months of the disaster.
- 93% of companies that lost their data center for 10 days or more due to a disaster filed for bankruptcy within one year of the disaster. 50% of businesses that found themselves without data management for this same time period filed for bankruptcy immediately. (National Archives & Records Administration in Washington)
- American business lost more than $7.6 billion as a result of viruses during first six months of the year. (Research by Computer Economics)
- Companies that aren’t able to resume operations within ten days (of a disaster hit) are not likely to survive. (Strategic Research Institute)
- Every week 140,000 hard drives crash in the United States. (Mozy Online Backup)
- Simple drive recovery can cost upwards of $7,500 and success is not guaranteed.
As you can see, data loss statistics can be scary. Don’t let your business fall to hardware failure, user error, or natural disaster. For more information about our data backup solutions and how to protect your business successfully, contact us at 512.600.2123 or visit our Complete Customer Care page for more details.