The internet is not a secure place by any means, and even the most tech-savvy users have a high likelihood of downloading some form of malware or becoming a victim of identity theft, just by going online occasionally. Learning just a little bit about the consequences of NOT having anti-virus protection should be enough to convince all businesses they need it. Here are a few reasons anti-virus is important:
Viruses are the most well known computer attackers, and they can do all sorts of damage. There are many types of viruses that each have the ability to compromise PCs in different ways. Typically, users acquire a virus by downloading questionable files that are falsely presented as coupons or special offers. Some are a little more intricate.Email scams have always been dangerous, but now they are harder to detect.
It’s important to remember that hackers are creating trickier viruses every day. Some viruses pretend to be bogus anti-virus software; still others come from fictitious bank websites or other important institutions linked to your personal accounts. Once viruses have infected your computer, they can drastically slow down your processing speeds, delete critical and important personal files and images, and in the worst case, cause irreparable physical damage to your computer. Viruses can increase computer replacement costs and wipe out your most precious personal data.
SPYWARE AND IDENTITY THEFT
Spyware is a kind of software that is specifically designed to infect your computer and spy on you. This means the spyware seeks and steals all your personal information stored on your computer. This can include financial data, passwords, social security numbers, credit card numbers and anything else the spyware can detect. Some spyware is so sophisticated that it can record and save data in real time; this kind of spyware runs silently run in the background, waiting for you to buy something online. As you enter your credit card number to pay for your purchase, the spyware records and saves your payment information, and often transfers your personal and sensitive data to its designer – a hacker in a remote location.
These hackers use the information to make purchases with your credit card, perform banking transactions and anything else they can get away with. Identity theft is a major headache for victims, and it can cause you to lose money and receive negative marks on your credit report. The best software that offers anti-virus protection also protects you from spyware.
AUSTIN ANTIVIRUS SOLUTIONS
Antivirus protection isn’t just a way to block computer viruses. For example, here is a list of the ways a good antivirus program can assist in protecting the data on your computer:
- Austin Antivirus – Starting with the obvious, an antivirus program will protect against computer viruses, or attacks that mean to damage a computer.
- Rootkit protection – Rootkits are embedded deep inside a computer in order to mask other malware or malicious files on your computer.
- Bot protection – This alerts a subscriber when a cybercriminal is attempting to remotely access your network. Don’t let your computer become a drone for automatic spamming and other crimes.
- Worm protection – By definition, worms attack networks rather than computers themselves. However, worms can carry payloads of malware that can be deposited onto computers. Worms will do some damage. Antivirus software can prevent this sort of attack.
- Trojan horses – Antivirus software can’t stop a person from downloading a file that appears legitimate. However, antivirus software can warn you when malware is detected within a Trojan horse file. Knowing is half the battle.
- Spyware – Spyware is software used for collecting data of usage or stealing information. It’s always best to have a combination of antivirus and spyware removal tools to keep your system running smoothly.
- E-mail Protection – Whether it’s instant messages or e-mails, antivirus software can warn users when these messages contain dangerous attachments or fraudulent links.
CORE PREVENTION TECHNIQUES
While having antivirus software protection is an important step in keeping a computer free of viruses and malware, there are still some other things a person can do to keep their computer as clean as possible.
- Keep computer software updated – Cybercriminals like to exploit computers with vulnerabilities. To keep up with known attacks, Microsoft, Apple, and other providers constantly update their software in order to protect against threats. Be sure to always check for the latest security updates or invest in ongoing IT services provider in Austin to meet your security needs.
- Practice safe Internet habits – There are many ways that cybercriminals can insert malware onto computers, and some of these methods involve fooling users with special offers or discount pricing. Never open attachments or follow links from unknown sources. Never give out confidential information such as passwords, even if it appears to come from an administrator. Use strong passwords on a regular base and slow down while working. Being careful can save you and your business a ton of money.